today, at 36 weeks and 5 days, i found out some news about you.
they tell me that you're already trying to do things your own way. trying to be unique and different. the doctor told me that you are trying to enter this world - feet first.
that's right. you are breech.
only 3% of babies are born breech. the other 97% are born conventionally - with their heads first.
i know you are cozy and comfy just right where you are and you probably want to do this your way. but mama needs you to turn around and just this one time….be a conformist.
tomorrow morning, the doctor is going to try to turn you around manually. sounds scary, i know. i feel the same way. she's going to give mama some medicine and then apply external pressure to mama's tummy placing her hands on your head and bottom to try to coax you to change positions. it is called an external cephalic version or version, for short.
it's going to be quite uncomfortable for mama and you won't enjoy it either. but please just let her roll you over, baby. it's really important. it will be safer for you and mama.
if you don't change positions, it is likely that the doctor will need to cut mama's tummy open to get you out….and i don't think either of us want that. mama has gone to great lengths to bring you into the world with as few interventions as possible. i chose a hospital that promotes natural childbirth and has a birthing tub. daddy and i hired a doula to help mama labor naturally as long as possible to give you the best possible entrance into this world.
we don't want to throw that all away now for a drug induced c-section,
do we? no, i don't think so either.
so tomorrow is a big day, my baby boy. versions are successful 60% of the time. i'm hoping we are in that 60%. so baby, please listen to your mama and cooperate with the doctor. i love you so much and just want you to arrive in my arms as safely as possible.