I don't really have too much to say. Except that the egg retrieval went well. No complications. The nurses and doctor at CCRM were top notch and treated me with great care.
We were expecting seven eggs and that's exactly what we got. And believe me, I was am happy with that. I tried not to think too much about our impeding decision today.
A few of you asked when we had to make the decision about banking. Unfortunately, today. That decision had to be made two hours ago when our embryologist called to give us our fertilization report. The reason for that is that CCRM feels the embryos thaw best when frozen at day one instead of waiting until day 5. Of course, that means we had to make a tough decision without very much information. Like how many are going to grow to 5 day blasts for PGD screening (CCRM calls it CCS testing).
Of the seven eggs retrieved, six were mature and four fertilized.
Back to the stats.
If we go forward with our four....
50% are likely to make it to day 5 blasts so we'd probably be going into testing with two.
With my age, 60% are likely to test normal....which probably means we'd have one healthy normal embie to transfer. Again, this is based on averages. I couldn't certainly do better than that (two) but I could also do worse. Nothing to transfer.
Having come this far, it would be so hard to find out two weeks from now when the test results come back that we have nothing normal to transfer. We'd be heartbroken.
So with heavy hearts today, we told the embryologist to freeze our four embabies. A and I have no idea where we will find the money to pay the additional $18,000 for another cycle. We will probably have to go into debt, beg, borrow and cut until we find the money. But I will go home and cycle again.
I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy. This is so very difficult.