I'm still in the process of defining what wellness means for me. But I do know it comes down to the choices we make in life. Sit on the couch or go out for a run. Eat a cheeseburger and fries or a veggie burger and a salad. Skip breakfast or take 3 extra minutes to grab a slice of toast with almond butter and a piece of fruit before running out the door. Internalize stress or find a healthy outlet.
Health. Wellness. Whatever you want to call it, I call it crucial. It's hard when you're in it (unhealthy mode, that is) to realize how awful your body feels because it just seems normal. But when you start taking care of yourself and fall off the wagon...you can really tell the difference.
There are so many ways to "be well" and make choices that will help you have a successful existence. I thought I'd share my top 5. These are choices that I've been making over the past few months that have made all the difference when it comes to my emotional and physical well being.
- Make shakes. I know, you weren't expecting that one, were you? No, I don't mean milkshakes. I mean protein shakes or veggie and fruit shakes. Hubby and I bought a Vitamix at Costco. I swear, it has changed my life. We make the most delicious shakes from the cookbook which allows us to eat way more fruits and veggies. With only 2 minutes of clean up! Plus, you won't waste produce anymore...literally just throw in whatever you have that's going bad and turn it into a yummy, healthy meal. If you don't want to invest in a Vitamix, just use your regular blender.
- Release the toxins. Yep, I mean massage folks. If you splurge on anything this week, treat yourself to a massage even if it is only a 30 minute session. If you can do an hour and a half, even better. Look for deals. My masseuse Layna at Serenity Massage is phenomenal. I mean it, she's amazing AND she offers specials - 100 minutes for $49. Seriously, it's the best 50 bucks I spend each month. If you're in Sacramento, make an appointment... you'll thank me later.
- Get moving. Run. Walk. Chase your kids or your pets. Take the stairs. Whatever you can think of to get your blood flowing and get moving. Most of us live such sedentary lifestyles. Sleep. Sit in traffic. Sit at a desk. Sit in traffic. Sit at the table and eat dinner. Sit at the computer and blog. Sleep. Sound like you? Sure does sound like me. But I make a conscience effort to get some exercise every day...in whatever form I can. Nowadays its a run first thing in the morning before I can start making excuses. But it started out with a 15 minute walk with my dog.
- Cut back. This was a tough one for me. My biggest stress relievers were wine and food. And cutting back on both of those wasn't easy. But I found that I slept better, felt better and looked better when I cut back on these bad habits. Believe me, I still indulge sometimes because I enjoy food and wine. But I'm no longer partaking as an escape from my stress.
- Saw some logs. Sleep. Lots of sleep. At least 8 hours. I can usually pull this one off...no problems. But sometimes I wake up about 4am with stress induced insomnia. When this happens, I just get up and start my day. Then the next day, I make up for my lost sleep.
We all have so much stress in our lives...infertility, children, work, family, finances and the list goes on. But all of our troubles are a lot easier to cope with when we feel good. What choices do you make that contribute to your wellness?